"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover". Mark Twain

Monday, July 03, 2006

Ottawa

Note - I have learned that I have not received some of the e-mail that were forwarded directly from my blog. I am uncertain why that would have occurred however if you were expecting a response and did not receive one your original message probably get through to me.

The morning I left Northern New Brunswick I discovered that I had burned a 2” hole in my riding pants when they came in contact with the hot exhaust pipes from the bike. This had occurred when I had parked the bike too close to my gear which was hanging in Maurice's garage. This incident had left me very disappointed. When I arrived in Ottawa I reviewed the damage with my sister-in-law Joyce who is an extremely talented lady. In no time she had my gear repaired and once again I have a happy rider. Thanks Joyce..

I had a great 9 day visit to Ottawa. While there I was provided with great accommodations and some excellent meal. Special thanks to Ray and Joyce, Daryl and Tara for the great hospitality.

This down time in Ottawa provided an opportunity to have the oil and filter replaced in the moto, to pick-up some camping items and a number of specialty tools, to simply relax – kickback fire up the BBQ and enjoy a few cold beer, chat with friends and relatives some of which I had not seen for a number of years.

There were a number of evenings we'd sit around and enjoy some awesome meals. Here are but a few tales. The first evening I arrived I was invited to join brother Ray and Joyce for a dinner party. The gather took place at their friend's home who family's roots were from the Philippians. It was my first encounter with many of the dishes which had originated from that region. The foods they had prepared were simply delicious and the hospitality they provided made for a very entertaining evening. Special thanks to the Rada - Conde family. Number one son Daryl has become very skilled around the BBQ turning out some great beer-can chicken, burgers and steaks. There was also the awesome meal Ray and Joyce prepared over the July 1st weekend. The ribs, salads and deserts were simply delicious. The food at all of these meals was great but it was the people who sat around these tables that made these gatherings very special. Thanks for sharing.

It was great to experience Canada Day in Ottawa to be among the thousands to gather on Parliament Hill, to stroll through downtown area and the market area simply observing the people and the many activities. It was enjoyable to stand on the normally busy Wellington Street (now barricaded for the festivities) near the front gates to Parliament Hill and watch the fire works as they light-up the night sky high above and at the rear of the Centre Block's Piece Tower. Oh Canada!!!


Town House for Sale - Number one Son - Daryl and spouse Tara have place there home on the market - Moving on up...



Family member Mathew proudly wears a Team Canada hockey jersey while displaying Todd Nicholson's Gold Medal. Todd was Canada's flag-bearer at the opening ceremony at the Paralympic Games in Torino. He is considered one of the best sledge hockey players in the world. As Team Canada's Captain Todd lead the men's sledge hockey team to its first-ever gold medal at the Paralympic Games in 2006.



These eight locks of the Rideau Canal's lift boat from the Ottawa River to a higher elevation on the canal. They are positioned between the Parliament Buildings and the Chateau Laurier Hotel located on the right of the photo. The Bytown Museum is housed in the oldest building in Ottawa, the former Commissariat building for the Rideau Canal built in 1827 located on the left.



The city of Ottawa was awash in red and white on Canada Day as the nation celebrated it's 139th birthday.



Every available space on the lawns of the Parliament Buildings is utilized as thousands showed-up for the entertainment on the hill.





One of the many quality meals consumed while in Ottawa – Here is Mark's breakfast creation a strawberry, blue berry, banana crepe topped with maple syrup.