"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover". Mark Twain

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Puerto Vallarta y Melaque

A very pleasant visit I had during our twelve day stay in Puerto Vallarta with brother Ray and Joyce. This city is a large resort destination and over the months of January, February and March millions of Norte Americanos will flock to this region to enjoy the beaches, browse in the numerous shops, dine in the many of good restaurants and wander the picturesque cobblestone streets throughout the city's zona centro / central zone. While in Puerto Vallarta this saddle tramp would made the transition from traveler to tourist. During this period I would simply sit-back and enjoy the company of family, bask in the warmth of summer, walk the beaches - the malecon (sea wall) – cobblestone streets and indulge in the great Mexican food and quality beers.

While in Puerto Vallarta I experienced an interesting encounter on a crowded bus one evening. As I chatted with the lady who sat next to me I learned that she was from Fredericton, NB and that she and her husband were very good friends of my very good friends Lloyd and Murielle. Joan and her friend Judy were in this area for a three week holiday. A pleasant encounter this was.

On February 20th we checked out of our hotel in Puerto Vallarta. Brother Ray and Joyce prepared to return to Ottawa and I set out in a southerly direction. On this day I would ride to the town of Melaque a small kick-back beach community. This town has become a hang-out for a large number of Canadians who flock to the area for the winter months. It is a great place to meet plenty of people as everyone is very laid-back and easy going. Living in this environment is very easy - An existence here is extremely simple yet the days pass quickly and one is never bored. It is always difficult to load up the motorcycle and ride away from these comfortable surroundings but go I must. On March 1st I once again bid farewell to my friends and hit the open road.

A highlight of my visit to Melaque was a day tour I joined with 5 other Norte Americanos. We were transported to a remote area where a large coral reef was easily accessed from the beach. Over a two hours period we would snorkel above this reef. This region provided an extensive variety of colorful tropical fish - there for our viewing pleasure – much like swimming in a fish bowl. It was exciting to swim amongst these creatures yet it was somewhat intimidating to be amongst moray eels and sting rays. Following our swim we left this area and moved to another beach which was known for its large waves. Here we were provided with a crash course in the art of riding a boogie board. Unlike surfing this skill is a relatively easy to develop. As surfing requires the rider to stand erect on the board while riding the wave. A boogie board rider's upper body lies directly on the board as the wave carries them to shore. A most enjoyable day we experienced however I remained far to long in the hot sun without ample sunscreen and consequently got burned. Upon my return to the hotel I was provided with some quality lotions a number of ladies had with them which provided quick relief.

The month of February has brought another birthday to this saddle tramp. Over the past three year I have celebrated birthdays in New Zealand, Vancouver and Mexico. Life has been very kind to Jimbo.

I was saddened to receive an e-mail from my buddy Paul who informed me that Bill a fellow Canadian had been killed in a car crash while traveling in Mexico. I had first met Bill and his spouse Lea in San Carlos and later again in Rincon de Guayabitos. It isn't my intent to appear morbid with this comment but it is important for me to make this clear. I fully understand that motorcycle travel in any region comes with risk. If it is my misfortune that my end come to me this way - so be it. It has been an amazing journey.



Toys of the rich - This vessel was tied-up at the Puerto Vallarta Marina.


The view from the 9th floor balcony of our Puerto Vallarta hotel room.


We traveled by jeep from Puerto Vallarta to the mountain village of San Sebastian where this lady operated a fonda / a small eating establishment with a very limited selection of traditional Mexican food. Here we were provided with a very tasty afternoon meal.


An in-shore fishery – this technique yielded very little fish during the time I observed this operation.



Sand – shade – palapa's and palm trees – a typical beach setting.


Mexico's tropical trees.


The many colors of Mexican pottery.


Mexico is a place of many bright colors.


Creatures of the sea - located in Bara de Navidad.


What's for dinner?


Paintings for sale – This artist has successfully captured a number of Mexico's images.


Passenger travel in the boxes of trucks is a common occurrence in Mexico.


A scene from small town Mexico.


A scene from small town Mexico.


An inner city bus. Bus service in most Mexican communities is relatively good. Although buses are normally crowded and typically without suspension making for a rough ride.



A scene from small town Mexico.


T-shirts for sale with images of heroes from Latin America's past.


A scene from small town Mexico.


A scene from small town Mexico.


A scene from small town Mexico. Note the absence of footwear


These crocodiles are in their natural environment. A fence keeps them away from nearby homes. A warning at the Boca de Iguanas RV park warns campers to keep an eye on dogs since crocodiles inhabit the swamp behind the camping area. That was ample warning for me not to consider camping at this site.